Sunday, December 30, 2018

Poverty Awakened my Sense of HOPE

My HEART’S Journey...THIS IS ME!
I may not be where I want to be, at least I am not where I used to be.

Humble Beginning

Rain poured out, rummaging the quietness of the village. The wind blew the roof, panicking all our senses… in the middle of the night.
Moved from places to places, simple, somewhat scary places. Houses built with the help of our relatives and some villagers, as we call it Bayanihan. Homes made out of bamboo leaves and branches of grown trees from our farms.
My dad is a farmer who didn’t finish college. My mom is also a farmer, a frustrated teacher who's unable to pursue her own dreams due to lack of financial support.
My siblings and I had a rough ride through our younger years. Even though my father is a hardworking person, he is also a drunkard that put so much stress in my mother’s eyes.
It was a struggle for my parents to put foods on the table. My mom would sell tobacco leaves to another town every weekend just to have ends meet.
Sometimes, they would borrow rice from our neighbors or from our relatives. I remember one time, my mom came home with nothing, no one wanted to lend her rice. She was weeping out of frustration and sadness. Seeing her with so much emotion brought tears into my eyes and promised myself that one day, this will never happen anymore. I will never see anyone else starve.
I prayed so hard for God to provide for us. I prayed so hard for breakthroughs. I prayed that God will bless my mom for the agony she’s been going through. I wept as she wept.
It was indeed heart-quenching and mind-debilitating; thinking and feeling the agony of my parents from the poverty we had to endure.
My persevering heart implored and explored; giving up my selfish desires, my playful childhood just to prosper in my goals to lift them up from the mind-boggling sensation of having nothing. Yes, we had nothing but hopes and perseverance. My mom taught us to still give whenever someone needs food or help. She taught us, it is better to give than to receive.
She taught us to be generous at all times, no matter how small. Life is not about having much, it is about how much you give to those in need.
All I had at that time was the hope of luxurious dreams...my dreams to change and to prosper. I held on to God. I held up high and hold on to His promise of an endless abundance. Now, I focus on giving not because I have something to give but because I know how it feels to have none.

“God loves a CHEERFUL giver.” 2 Corinthians 9-7

No comments:

Post a Comment